Red potatoes are a versatile and delicious addition to many meals, but cooking them can sometimes be a time-consuming process. What if I told you there’s a way to prepare perfectly cooked red potatoes in just a matter of minutes using your microwave? In this blog post, we’ll show you a simple and convenient method for microwaving red potatoes, allowing you to enjoy this side dish with minimal effort.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Red potatoes (as many as you want)
- Salt (optional)
- Seasonings and herbs (e.g., rosemary, thyme, garlic, or your favorites)
- Wash and Prepare the Potatoes: Begin by washing the red potatoes thoroughly to remove any dirt or debris. You can choose to peel them or leave the skins on, depending on your preference. Red potato skins are thin and edible, adding a nice texture and flavor, so peeling is not necessary.
- Cut the Potatoes: Cut the red potatoes into evenly sized pieces to ensure they cook uniformly. Smaller, bite-sized chunks work best, and you can quarter or halve them, depending on the original size of the potato.
- Microwave-Safe Dish: Place the cut potatoes in a microwave-safe dish. Make sure it’s a dish that has a lid or can be covered with microwave-safe plastic wrap.
- Add Water: Pour a small amount of water into the dish, just enough to create a thin layer covering the bottom. This steam helps cook the potatoes evenly and prevents them from drying out. You can also season the water with a pinch of salt for added flavor.
- Season the Potatoes: Sprinkle your choice of seasonings and herbs over the potatoes. Common options include rosemary, thyme, garlic, or even a bit of olive oil for added flavor. Be creative and choose seasonings that complement your meal.
- Cover and Microwave: Place the lid on the dish or cover it securely with microwave-safe plastic wrap, leaving a small vent for steam to escape. Microwaves vary, so start with a microwave-safe cook time of 5-6 minutes on high for a medium-sized potato. If you’re cooking a larger batch, you may need to increase the time slightly.
- Stir and Check: After the initial cook time, carefully remove the dish from the microwave (it will be hot!). Give the potatoes a gentle stir to ensure even cooking, and check for doneness. Continue to microwave in 1-2 minute intervals if needed, until the potatoes are tender and can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Serve and Enjoy: Once the red potatoes are cooked to your desired level of tenderness, remove them from the microwave. Be cautious as the dish and contents will be hot. Serve your microwaved red potatoes as a side dish or use them in your favorite recipes.
- You can get creative with your seasonings. Try adding a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, paprika, or even a dash of hot sauce for a unique flavor twist.
- For extra crispy edges, you can finish off your microwaved red potatoes by quickly sautéing them in a hot skillet with a bit of olive oil for a few minutes.
- Remember that microwaves vary in power, so cooking times may differ. Adjust your cooking time as needed based on your microwave’s performance.
Cooking red potatoes in the microwave is a time-saving hack that doesn’t compromise on flavor or quality. It’s perfect for busy weeknight dinners or when you need a quick and tasty side dish. Give it a try, and you’ll be amazed at how easy it is to enjoy perfectly cooked red potatoes in just a few minutes.