Solid-State Drives (SSDs) have revolutionized the storage industry with their speed and reliability, making them an essential component for anyone seeking top-tier performance in their computing devices. Samsung, a renowned tech giant, offers a range of SSDs designed to cater to the needs of various users. In this blog post, we’ll compare the Samsung 980 Pro SSD and the Samsung 990 Pro SSD, delving into the specs of these two high-performance storage solutions.
Samsung 980 Pro SSD
The Samsung 980 Pro SSD is part of Samsung’s Pro series, known for delivering blazing-fast read and write speeds. Here are the key specs for the 980 Pro:
- Capacity Options: The 980 Pro is available in capacities of 250GB, 500GB, and 1TB, making it suitable for a range of applications, from gaming to content creation.
- Interface: It utilizes the PCIe 4.0 interface, ensuring faster data transfer rates compared to its predecessors.
- Sequential Read/Write Speeds: The 980 Pro boasts impressive sequential read speeds of up to 7,000 MB/s and write speeds of up to 5,000 MB/s. This makes it ideal for handling large files and reducing load times.
- NAND Technology: It utilizes 3D NAND technology, specifically Samsung’s V-NAND, which enhances durability and performance.
- Controller: The drive features Samsung’s custom Elpis controller, designed for improved efficiency and sustained performance.
- Endurance: Samsung rates the 980 Pro with a Terabytes Written (TBW) rating, ensuring that it can withstand significant data writes over its lifespan.
- Warranty: It comes with a 5-year limited warranty, giving users peace of mind regarding long-term reliability.
Samsung 990 Pro SSD
The Samsung 990 Pro SSD is an upgraded version of the 980 Pro, offering even better performance and storage options. Here’s a closer look at the specs:
- Capacity Options: The 990 Pro is available in capacities ranging from 250GB to a whopping 2TB, making it an excellent choice for those who need ample storage.
- Interface: Like the 980 Pro, the 990 Pro also employs the PCIe 4.0 interface, ensuring top-tier data transfer speeds.
- Sequential Read/Write Speeds: The 990 Pro pushes the boundaries with sequential read speeds of up to 7,000 MB/s and write speeds of up to 5,100 MB/s, slightly faster than the 980 Pro.
- NAND Technology: It continues to use Samsung’s V-NAND technology, providing a balance of performance and longevity.
- Controller: The 990 Pro features an updated Elpis controller, fine-tuned for optimal efficiency and performance.
- Endurance: With an impressive TBW rating, the 990 Pro can handle substantial write operations, making it suitable for professional applications.
- Warranty: Samsung offers a 5-year limited warranty, ensuring the reliability of the 990 Pro over time.
Both the Samsung 980 Pro and 990 Pro SSDs are top-tier storage solutions, capable of delivering exceptional performance for a wide range of computing needs. The choice between them will depend on your specific requirements. If you need a balance of speed and storage capacity, the 980 Pro is an excellent choice. However, if you’re looking for slightly faster write speeds and need more storage space, the 990 Pro is the better option. Whichever model you choose, you can be confident in Samsung’s reputation for quality and reliability in the SSD market.